Thursday, October 27, 2005

Snow

I left my apartment building on Tuesday morning to see speckles of white falling from the sky. I was hesitant to call it snow; it more closely resembled frozen rain, but it didn't shoot down from the sky. It was obviously floating, meandering to the earth. After two winters in Vermont, I thought I had seen all possible types of snow, but as usual, Russia had another surprise for me.
Being our first snow, I was a little disappointed. It didn't stick and was sharp and biting, two adjectives I HATE using for snow. Luckily, this odd step-child of snow didn't last past noontime. I woke up the next day to a bonafide snowstorm.
The whiteness shrouded the gray city and gave the air a clean look (a large feat considering the levels of pollution in Moscow). Wednesday's snow was flakie, feathery and actually stuck, covering the city in a soft pading of frozen powdered sugar. It had a calming effect on me; as snow usually does, it seemed to mute the sounds of this loud city and make everything seem newer, cleaner.
It continued snowing until nighttime and today, this strange october weather has again mutated first into rain and now into sleat. I haven't yet bitten the dust on the Moscow sidewalks, but keep your fingers crossed for me.

1 Comments:

At 6:25 PM, Blogger plee said...

Mike, you should post pictures of Moscow covered in snow. It's great weather here in Berlin today, but I wouldn't hold my breath that it's going to last. I've discovered that it is quite gray here normally.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home