Thursday, October 20, 2005

Problems

The other night, I was sitting at the dinner table as Tatiana Nikolaevna served my favorite meal of pel'meny (Russian dumplings). I was sharing with her some of the strange rituals that today's anthropology lecture covered, namely the ritual of 'perepekenie' or rebaking/finish baking. This is performed on small children when they get sick and are seen as not 'baked' all the way through. Basically, country folk will put their child in an oven to heal him. During the lecture, I could not fathom such a thing, since the professor seemed to insinuate that the child could sometimes die in the flames. Tatiana assured me that this ritual is most likely performed in the warm but not flaming chamber of the oven, although she had never heard of such a ritual.
Sensing that I had disturbed her with this backward, possibly ancient ritual of her own culture, I tried to change the subject and began talking about a classic of Soviet cinema that I saw early that day, "Letiat Zhuravly" (The Cranes are Flying). I refered to an engaged couple as 'lovers' (liubovniki), not knowing the subtle and negative undertones of this particular word. Tatiana proceeded to lecture me for a good twenty minutes on the difference between those in love (like Romeo and Juliet, married couples, etc) and lovers - liubovniki (those who have sex out of lust and treat it like a handshake). She had some very strong feelings on the subject and through the course of her monologue began to nearly yell at me. She also asked some questions that made me feel very uncomfortable ("When you marry a woman, would you want to know that she's been with Lord knows how many other men, or would you want her to be yours and only yours?"). Such a question is quite complicated for someone like me: the very thought of marrying a woman is a very foreign concept, but out of respect for my hostess, I set out to give a diplomatic answer without getting into too many details of my own sexual life. I told her that "It would be nice if she were a virgin, I guess, but I also know that in the world we live in, women like that are few and far between."
This answer didn't provide her with much satisfaction and she continued accosting me until I admitted that I would only marry a virgin (woman). She began citing great authors' views on the matter, namely Theodore Dreiser, of whom I had never heard. Tatiana was flabbergasted at this realization. "Teodor Dreizer (with a thick Russian accent)! He's a classic of American Literature! How can you not know your own classics?!" I consider myself well read and educated even by international standards (as my I.B. Diploma can prove), but not once in my life have I come across the name Theodore Dreiser. She started explaining what 'a classic' is (as though I didn't understand what she meant by this expression) and basically implied that I was uneducated and culturally illiterate for not know who this Dreiser fellow was. It would be one thing if Dreiser were a Russian author, rarely read in the West, but Tatiana was taking it upon herself to tell me who the classics of my own culture were, and using all my self-control to not tell her off for presuming to teach me about my own cultural heritage, I smiled and nodded and let her finish.
Despite hanging out with my American friends (out of which only one had ever heard the Dreiser's name and was unable to name one of his supposedly famous compositions), I spent the remainder of my night in a bad mood. My life with Tatiana is often filled with similar conversations that center around conflicts between the older generation's concept of the world and what constitutes a 'correct' lifestyle and that of the younger generation's. This schizm is complicated by our different cultural backgrounds, and although reminiscent of interactions I've had with my grandparents and older people in the States, my 'discussions' with Tatiana tend to upset me more since I'm forced to defend my generation in a foreign language.
I fell asleep agreeing with Tatiana's assessment that 'Mish, today just isn't your day'.

4 Comments:

At 4:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

been there, lived through that...That is basically the story of my life during the past 4 years,it is just one of the perks that come from living abroad. Bienvenido a mi mundo!!!! pura vida, no??...I know it is quite an unpleasant feeling to have, especially because one feels so alone and helpless when in such a situation, ESPECIALLY when you have to do it in a foreign language, because it seems like one is not able to get their point across and it seems like one will never be able to explain what one means...AAAAHHH!!!!!!!! Der arme!!!...unangenehm muss ich sagen!!! but you are not alone on this one...I basically live through that on a day to day basis...it is called CULTURE SHOCK!! and it makes you long for the people who love you and who actually understand you and who agree with you and who will not question your level of literacy!!!!
Pobrecito!!!...Un beso, Indi

 
At 4:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh Mish,
First of all, YOU DON'T KNOW WHO DREISER IS?!?!?!? boje moy!

Kidding. I don't either. Classic?

But I know what you mean about having to defend our culture, and America in general! It's strange, because in both SF and Middlebury, it's very trendy to hate America, or at least be severely critical. It's gotten to the point where to prove you're smart, or a thinker, you have to criticize your own country. I too have found myself irrationally wanting to shout out some defenses occasionally. I can't tell if it's merely self-defense, or whether I actually am realizing that, well, some things are better at home.
(Last year I heard a girl at Middlebury who had just returned from India shout out, "AMERICA IS SWEET!" and I swore to myself I wouldn't react to living abroad liek that. Imagine if that is all we get out of our time here.

I think sometimes we just have to remind ourselves that we're in someone else's power for a while. But, for the rest of our lives, the knowledge we get here will be our power. And we'll be able to say, "please, you haven't read the brothers karamazov! it's a CLASSIC in russia." Until then, you just have to proud yourself on being able to put yourself in that uncomfortable situation, when your hostess won't ever.

On the subject of your marrying a woman, I plan an entire blog entry about it. Stay posted.
Lots of love from your future wife,
Liza

 
At 7:04 PM, Blogger plee said...

Too bad Tatiana Smorodinskaya didn't tell you the difference between married couples and that really long word in Russian when we saw "The Cranes are Flying." I'm sure it would've helped a lot, heh.

And that's really funny about you marrying a woman. We'll see what happens. :) I guess it'll be totally different when you get to Berlin.

 
At 9:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mish, relax. Lots of Russians still live in the Medieval times... Virgins, lust, sex.. There was a famous quote from one simple Russian woman, who yelled at one of the first TV bridges between USSR and US (mid 80s): "There is no sex in the Soviet Union!" Misha, don't listen to those crippled poor Russian ladies - "lubovniki" is a good word which means people in love (liubov') and it has nothing to do with marriage (even in case of Romeo and Juliet). As far as Dreiser is concerned - he criticized capitalism, thus, was translated and widely popularized in the Soviet Union. That's why he was considered to be an American "classic." So, don't feel bad about not knowing Soviet American classics.
Tatiana Smorodinska

 

Post a Comment

<< Home