Sunday, October 09, 2005

Notes from the Editor...

In rereading my blog and living longer here in Moscow, I've discovered some mistakes I've made in my reports from the Mother land:

1. The average pension for elderly Russians is actually 100 DOLLARS, not rubles a month (this is about 3,000 rubles). Although this is significantly more than my earlier figures (see Manushka moya), it is still a paltry sum. Tatiana Nikolaenva spends about a third of this sum on her rent, leaving about $66 dollars for groceries, clothes and insidentals of city life in one of the most expensive cities in the world (Moscow is second only to Tokyo in cost of living!).
2. Manon, my canine 'little sister' in Russia is housetrained, although since my post on her life in the city (also Manushka moya), I've learned that most Russians are as surprised by this as I was. Manon had a very tramatic experience with a large dog in her early life and has since then feared the outdoors. Housetraining her was relatively easy for Tatiana Nikolaevna since Manon would basically do anything so as not to venture into the cruel world outside.
3. I've changed my blog's settings so that you DO NOT NEED a blogger account to leave a comment on my blog, so please, drop me a line and let me know what you think of my posts! This blog is as much for my friends and the world at large as it is for me.

Tonight I'm leaving on a night train for the Ukraine, so there won't be any new posts until I return in a week. Be looking foward to reflections from 'Little Russia'!

-the management

1 Comments:

At 10:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Misha my dear,
I hope you have an amazing time in Ukraine,and I'm glad you've joined our prestigious blogging circle.

Funny that Moscow is so expensive when here it is so cheap...Sarah and I just talked today about how our expectations for how much a meal should cost have dramatically changed. Sometimes I wonder what my babushka thinks when we go to a cafe when I've never seen her eat out. I guess that awkwardness is part of being abroad too.
lots of love and have a great trip
see you here soon?
Lizi

 

Post a Comment

<< Home